Partnering with Charles Sturt University
Garden Village regularly offers nursing students placements to support their studies. The partnership with Charles Sturt University prepares the next generation of nurses for a successful career in healthcare particularly in the aged care sector.
In 2023 Garden Village awarded scholarships to two nursing students Aamber Rowe and Tanya Luthra. Both students are enrolled in the Bachelor of Nursing program at the Charles Sturt University Port Macquarie Campus.
The scholarship includes a financial contribution of $1,000 per year for three years and a unique opportunity to undertake placement hours and ongoing paid employment with Garden Village.
Aamber Rowe completed her placement at Garden Village in November and will continue to work for Garden Village in 2024. As a hard working and driven student Aamber was keen to apply for the Garden Village Graduate Nursing Scholarship.
Having grown up in the coastal town of South West Rocks Aamber was particularly connected to the community. Thanks to her role in the Surf Life Saving Club it was second nature to Aamber to assist people and this drew her to a career in nursing.
Positive Impact of practical placements supports study at Charles Sturt University
Prior to commencing the placement with Garden Village Aamber said she was nervous to perform practice and be in an unknown environment.
“Coming to Garden Village for two weeks has given me knowledge, experience and skills to take with me to further my studies of nursing. Supported by a hardworking team they encouraged me to practice my nursing skills, making me more comfortable and confident in doing so,” she added.
The Mentorship Experience
During her placement Aamber was mentored by Nurse Unit Manager Luke, Registered Nurse Janine, Enrolled Nurses Stephanie and Nicola, Clinical Educator Emily and supported by the wider team of PCA’s and nurses.
Aamber expressed thanks for the guidance she received and highlighted the inclusive, reassuring and encouraging environment created by the team. She worked closely with the team to practise first year nursing student skills and gained confidence in her nursing.
“The team worked hard to give me a routine to make me feel included and have a sense of belonging at Westerweller. They were thorough in teaching me the ins and outs of nursing practice and would relate their experiences to the specific situation. This allowed me to understand my level of expertise which helped me to retain information.”
Aged Care as a future nursing career pathway
Aamber was always interested in working in the emergency department and had not considered aged care as a future career pathway until she experienced Garden Village.
She highlighted the positive connections and meaningful relationships she developed with the 56 wonderful Westerweller residents, leading her to reconsider aged care as a potential career pathway.
Aamber was appreciative of the placement opportunity and scholarship at Garden Village including the experience of palliative care: “I was able to support and care for a palliative care resident. This was definitely an eye opener but I am extremely honoured to have helped this resident be comfortable and in no pain while being at the end of life.”
During Aambers placement she took on a range of tasks, working within her scope of practice under the guidance of a Registered Nurse.
Aamber’s responsibilities included:
- BGLs to specific residents
- Basic wound dressings
- Administering oral medication
- Preparing insulin dosages
- Preparing a syringe driver
- Applying S8 patches
- Completing vital signs
- Presenting case studies
- ADL’s and reviewing documentation on new admissions
Benefits of Garden Village Scholarships:
- Learn while you earn: The scholarship program emphasises the importance of practical learning by offering recipients the chance to gain valuable experience while pursuing their education. This unique approach allows students to apply theoretical knowledge in real-world healthcare settings.
- Gain industry experience: Scholarship recipients at Garden Village receive financial assistance and gain hands-on experience in the sector. This experience is invaluable for their professional development, providing insights that go beyond the classroom.
- Mentoring from experienced nurses: Garden Village recognises the significance of mentorship in nursing education. Scholarship recipients benefit from guidance and support from experienced nurses within the Garden Village community, fostering a collaborative and nurturing learning environment.
Applications open in April 2024 – For more information visit the Graduate Nursing Scholarship Program